Sunday, October 19, 2008

Prince vs. Michael Jackson

Other appropriate titles for this post:

• In which I hit myself in the face with a bed frame
• Moving the entire Southeast Louisiana Red Cross down 8 flights
• An early morning sprint down St. Charles avenue

Last Friday, I moved out of the Med District downtown into a loft-type apartment on St. Charles Ave, uptown. When I got up the six flights to my new apartment and my key didn’t work, I had no choice but to call it a night. When I say ‘call it a night’ I mean I dumped all my stuff on the floor and met some people at Republic for the Prince vs. Michael Jackson DJ battle.

I got there at eleven, which I thought was appropriately late for someone approaching 30. But apparently eleven is the new 5:30. I made it just in time for the geriatric beer specials and sat down at an empty lounge area to wait. There were some little business cards with the Uptown Salon logo on the lounge table, and I wondered why someone had left all their business cards around. It wasn’t until I was served a bucket of champagne that I realized I was sitting in Uptown Salon’s reserved booth, and that Republic thought I was the first member of Uptown Salon to arrive.

I sent this text to Sprinky: I hit a new low. I’m at a club by myself drinking $2 miller high life in someone else’s booth waiting for a DJ battle between Michael Jackson and Prince to start. Where did things go wrong?

I was about to call it quits, but then Prince showed up. Everywhere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Michael Jackson followed.
And then my friends.
I’m not sure if Uptown Salon ever made it, but I should send them a thank-you for the champagne…

Prince and Michael Jackson at the DJ booth discussing weather or not Billy Jean was his lover-

Photobucket

The next morning I met the furniture guy at 8:30, and the leasing agent let me into the apartment. This is what she said: Oh, there is a trick to unlocking the apartments. You didn’t know? (Hello. How could I have known that, lady?)

The apartment is amazing- full skyline view of the city, open loft-type floor plan, HUGE closet- think Carrie Bradshaw in the brownstone- and cheaper than where I was living before. Before you get jealous, realize I am only talking about 450 square feet of goodness. But for me, it’s perfect.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I spent two days moving and still have not unpacked. I did, however, put together a desk, a futon, a bed frame and a bookshelf and arrange them all myself. And then I hit myself in the face with the bed frame. I was trying to put bed elevators underneath, and the bed shifted and fell on my face. The next day I went to school and introduced myself to all my potential employers at the internship fair with a black eye and small gash.

I also spent Thursday morning moving the Red Cross, which has been displaced for the entire three years following Katrina. They’ll fling open the doors to their original pre-Katrina office tomorrow morning on Canal Street. The chapter has been functioning out the 4th floor of the T-mobile building in Metairie—which has no elevator. We lined up 50 people up and down 8 flights of stairs and moved the entire Red Cross, one box at a time, in an assembly line from the fourth floor down.  It was exhausting, but I felt happy to help considering how unreal it is that this chapter, among everything in the city, is just now moving home for the first time, and I helped carry a box. Or two. Hundred.

On Friday, as if my body really needed the extra early morning sprint, I walked out of my apartment and caught a glimpse of the Tulane shuttle turning the corner a block-and-a-half away. I thought my days of chasing the shuttle were over. Turns out, the only thing worse than chasing the shuttle down Tulane Avenue is chasing it up St. Charles where my classmates can see me. I crossed my fingers hoping that no one was on the streetcar that day.  It was an ugly, panicked run, knocking old men out of the way and flinging people to the side with my bookbag…

The most annoying part happened when I heaved myself onto the shuttle and flopped down, gagging and coughing and sighing and looking around saying, “Thank God I made it!” 
We just sat there for another 5 minutes.

When I walked into Tools, totally stressed and falling apart at the outfit/hair seams from all the running, Allison said, “Brooke. I saw you exit your apartment this morning.” 
She didn't laugh right away, which was nice. 
I asked if she’d seen everything, and she said she had.  She said she wanted to yell out after me, “Don’t worry! It’s only Tools!” but I was too fast. 
Anytime I picture myself sprinting down St. Charles Avenue at 7:58 am, I laugh out loud. 

Here are some pictures of the weekend:

Social Work crew at Superior

Photobucket

These jokers were at Lucy's on Saturday before the New Kids on the Block show.  1992 threw up all over the room:

Photobucket

Shea and I at the park on Sunday observing children for the Theory lab-

Photobucket

Seriously, we’re legitimately observing. Don’t call the police. (You kids want some candy?)

Photobucket

Social Workers Gone Wild- the TSSW picnic

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Note the face and the hair below. I was just coming off a triple back layout with a half twist.
Karine's like, Oh God! Not the half twist!
Tiffany's like, If she dies I'm getting it on camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

The poor kids we kicked off the moonwalk

Photobucket

Tim teaching kids how to fight in preparation for the Pirate vs. Ninja flash mob on Halloween night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love SGA for planning this picnic. It was fun to see everyone outside of class and outside of all the little groups. And for the record, our volleyball team won.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god i am really laughing my ass off after reading that! "WHERE DID THINGS GO WRONG?"
omg please get published!!!!!!!
hilarity!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are completely crazy.

Brooke said...

Yeah, but you like me that way.

Anonymous said...

i will now also think of you racing down the street to make myself laugh. thank you, my sister in social work.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! A space walk?! Social Workers rock!

Anonymous said...

OMG... Brooke i live for your notes on here! You are too funny! It is one of the few things that brighten my days lately... in between reading, and writing, and reading some more, then writing some more! Oh thank you for making me laugh till my sides hurt!

stephanie joy said...

at least you were having fun when you failed to call me on keep-in-touch-Sunday. i forgive you.

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! I left to early...dang! Guess I missed out on the bouncy house/make myself throw up corky's. Next time. Hope karine got some ideas!

Anonymous said...

lol....lol this is funny, plus the way you write is just priceless....love it!!

P.S. i know I wasn't even tagged in this note, but facebook allows me to spy on folks :P so i couldn't help it.

Brooke said...

Alpha- these notes are equal opportunity! It's not spying if you're invited...

Anonymous said...

You and that bookbag...you should have a permit for that thing if you're going to wield it as a weapon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, God! Not the half twist!

hil-AIR, b.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, don't worry about me seeing you running to the shuttle. not only did you provide me with the valuable information that said shuttle even exists, but also, i was waaaaayyy still drunk when it happened, and was in no place to judge.

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I hope you are writng a book; or at least that you will write one, some day! It will be a best seller, for sure! :) [ When you do, I want a signed copy! :) ]