Monday, April 14, 2008

Birthday. Bangs.

The bad thing about not having a job is that you have time to do things like cut your own bangs. If you look at my bangs, they’re equally proportionate to my life since returning from Belize: sort of aimless and random, but well-intentioned with a touch of frantic. They scream, something good can be done with this space if I could just get it together.

There was lots of cutting and fixing and cutting and fixing, because, well, you know how cutting and fixing goes. I tried to do it exactly how Hannah does it—I twisted them all together and snipped. Then I tried to even them up, but they were short on the left. So I tried to even them up, but they were short on the right. So I tried to even them up and they were short on the left, again. So I tried to even them up, but they were short in the middle. I gave up. Then I tried again the next day, because I still didn’t have a job yet and I had already seen all the E! True Hollywood stories.

My bangs are about 2 inches long now. Gosh.

Also, my birthday was Saturday.

We had a little birthday bash on Thursday night at Cheesecake Factory in Indy with friends and family, which was the best ending to an entire week of baby Lily, my adorable week-old niece. (Most of the time when I look at her, I want to eat her face off. She is that delicious. And by delicious, I mean cute and precious and edible.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Weekly Lily pics

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the actual day of my original birth, I made a Belizean Cuisizean dinner in Fort Wayne for a few friends, and then—I’m just going to skip to the punchline here—Elaine from Germany showed up on my doorstep with Doug, home on leave. They spent the night. It was the best birthday surprise ever.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pay no attention to Scary Sprinky on the bottom.

Photobucket

Sidenote:
Isn’t it weird that I’m 27?
There was a time when I thought 27 year-olds knew everything about life.
Turns out, they’re more like 19 year-olds with 4 grey eyebrows and really short bangs.
(The things I wish I’d known.)

On the upside, I have found that most car dealerships have free popcorn, Diet Coke, coffee, internet and cable. It’s my new thing. Car dealerships.

9 comments:

collinsfamily3 said...

Everyone looks so pretty (and skinny!) in your bday pics! I can't believe Elaine surprised you! How fun! I was hoping you'd post a pic of the bangs.

Suzanne, Authentic Woman said...

You know SOOO much more than I did when I was 27! I wanted to see the bangs, too....

Anonymous said...

i'm just so freakin' excited. i mean, can you blame me?

Anonymous said...

I seriously cannot stop laughing at scary sprinky! Will you send me all these pics? So great to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

ok....we must be friends because lately I am really into dealerships now too. no joke. i will just go and eat the free stuff, and marvel at all the sparkly new cars. i have narrowed it down to the honda dealership on mission gorge drive. they have the nicest dudes and i have made buddies with a guy named art:) I am so glad that you had a surprising birthday:)
ps. i love scary sprinky

Anonymous said...

OK, First look at the 3rd picture....its so funny the way I am randomly looking at you like "Brooke, Do you really want to eat that pie?"
Lily is C U T E put it all togehter and whats that spell?? CUTE!!!!!
So glad you had a bun birthday!!!
Love the scary sprinkie!!! It made me laugh for like 10 minutes stait.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I said bun instead of fun...oops

Anonymous said...

If you think it's weird to be 27, what do you think I feel!

Hearing your story about your bangs reminds me of a time that I cut your Mom's bangs and had the same experience .Usually I did a good job but after she entered the teen years, she wouldn't let me get near her hair! hee hee
I'm glad you had a good Birthday. It was nice to have you in the neighborhood for a few. That Lil Lily is certainly precious, isn't she! love love

Anonymous said...

brooke...i am just gonna come out and say it- i truly enjoy reading you blogs. you are very carrie bradshaw before she became carrie bradshaw. you know?
also: dude-cutting own bangs=never a good idea. i did it several times in high school and always looked like a complete goof. i think it was you that finally told me that i needed to lose the bangs-i think you said "i had bangs in like 6th grade". So I grew them out. Maybe its a sign to grow them out?!?!
anyway, lily is adorable. her face is just beautiful! brian looks happy as a dad. tell him congratulations.
also wanted to say glad you had a good bday and cheesecake factory is great.
lastly, who is your photographer? i would like to get one like yours-you always have GREAT candid shots.
I may be going out on a limb here by writing all of this in a comment at the end of a blog/note but look...thats my new thing