Saturday, July 15, 2006

Life according to Alias

I am lying on my couch with a heaping bowl (the second heaping bowl) of Life Cereal glued to the 1am showing of Alias on CBS. I was exhausted at 11:15 and 12am and 12:30, but when I went to bed, every possible issue came from far and wide to cram itself into my brain...

So Im watching Sidney talk to Vaughn thinking about how lucky she is and wishing I could live inside that show, you know?

I'm saying to myself, Sidney's life is so awesome. She probably didnt have to fill out Grad school applications online today and wonder who she was going to get references from or spend months trying to figure out which program she even wanted to apply for, and she probably isn't sitting on the edge of her seat waiting for a callback from a job she really wants, and I'm sure she's not flipping out about the loud noise her car is making even though she was just at Midas on Friday, and she probably isn't trying to figure out how to best support her mom's new internet boyfriend and her dad who has decided that now is the time to reconcile, and, surely, the farthest thing from her mind as she stares into Vaughn's eyes is the growing mole on her arm and the faint recollection that she didn't wear sunscreen this morning at the pool, or how, thanks to insomnia, she is going to have to explain, again, to 50 people why she skipped church tomorrow morning to sleep in. Nope. Not Sid.

I mean, in this episode all she is doing is saying goodbye to her mother, who just jumped off a skyscraper without revealing where her kidnapped father was, and she just found out her best friend is really a mutated double who just killed her other best friend, and, I mean, she ended up having to kill the mutated best friend, and she actually woke up two years later to find her fiance, Vaughn, married an evil double agent because he thought she was dead, but geez. It's Sidney were talking about. She'll handle it and still get Vaughn in the end despite Sloan, Sark, Lauren, Irena, AND the big red ball thingy. I guess, though, she had to give up Jack for it, which is REALLY sad. I guess in the end not even Sidney gets to have it all.

You can look for your own speck of proverb in all of that. I think I am tired now.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, I graduated to a full-sized cubicle on Thursday. Sidney is silently cheering for me because she is watching my life from the other side of the TV thinking, 'Brooke has the awesomest life. I bet her mom isnt jumping off a skyscraper...'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be ur reference. and oh, I'm unusually hopeful right now and thinking that everything really works out in the end, and we'll all get our own Vaughn. Mostly because I just had the best weekend of the last ten years of my sad little life. It's a bit tawdry for a public post, but I'll fill you in later. It does involve romantic kisses, decade old crushes and a hot boy. So chin up my friend, the stars really WILL align, great things WILL happen and solutions ARE imminent. And most importantly, I love you to the moon and back

Anonymous said...

reading this, all i could think of was the episode where sidney is pregnant and riding in the car w/ vaughn. then, suddenly, there is a car accident, and vaughn is freaking missing. he's the best part of the plot in my opinion, and he went poof into thin air! and a car crash when you're pregnant? and how about the fact that sidney is constantly running (literally)? you SO don't want to be her, brooke! but let me just add one more thing...

she's really with washed up ben affleck...the strip club going dud. ugh!

AND she doesn't send out the funniest christmas letters with stories about smart chips. (i read it again) so there.

Brooke said...

I love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode. It was the best cliff hanger ever. That was good blog and you are funnier every day. Thanks for the concern call.

Anonymous said...

i reread this, and i agree with jill. you really are funnier every day...or maybe it's just that it's been so long since i've seen you, it just seems that way. i don't know, but whatever it is, i love this blog. and you.