Monday, December 15, 2008

The Great Snow of 2008, and other silly stories.

I think you probably heard, but it snowed in New Orleans.

This was not just a little dusting; it was a full inch. School was canceled. Businesses pushed employees outside to run willy-nilly through the yard and throw snowballs. The entire city fell apart at the age line and turned six-and-a-half, simultaneously.

I’d heard there might be snow on the North shore, so when my mom woke me up with a text that said, “snow?” I turned on the TV and rolled over. I only jumped out of bed when Good Morning America and the Today show were preempted by local news standing at Audubon Park frantically and joyfully screaming about how blinding it is when it falls heavily. And white! I waited patiently for Geraldo to show up and walk sideways into the wind.

Kids were rolling around and spreading snow all over their bodies. Adults were sledding on suit coats and building thousands of teeny, tiny 6-inch snowmen, and then adorning them with full-sized hats and scarves and carrots and sticks. We were encouraged not to venture out if we didn’t have to, because the roads were very, very bad. The bridges and overpasses were closed, and government offices closed in two parishes. I ran outside to take pictures, and found clumps of people gathered all over the sidewalk and streets staring up at the sky. Most had their tongues out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I called the Red Cross to make sure they were still open before I ventured out in the snow that wasn’t yet accumulating, and they asked me if I was comfortable driving in “this”. I told them they could count on me. They said good, because Orleans parish was in a Level One snow emergency and they were in the midst of pulling together staff and volunteers for two standby cold weather shelters.

Photobucket

All day stations played, “Let it snow” over and over, and it has since been referred to as the Great Snow of 2008. If you go to Tulane’s website, you’ll see an entire photo album and slide show documenting happy students playing in the lawn with scarves and hats to lure prospective students into thinking, “See? We have Christmas, too!”

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a joyous and happy Christmas miracle. It melted by dinner, and the next day was 65 and sunny. Just how I like my snow—beautiful, then gone.

Here are some pics of the Christmasy city yesterday-

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Santa and His half-brass Band


When right in the mall there arose such a clatter, I got up from the food court to see what was the matter.





Only in New Orleans would Santa and half a brass band saunter around the mall singing.


Finals Week


Photobucket

As of now, I am one-quarter Master Social Worker.
(You can call me Master for short.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you take all the snow pictures? They are awesome gorgeous! I was glad to see the post...I miss it when you don't write :( Any word on your finals?

Brooke said...

Alert! NO, these are not all my pics. The first five were reader uploaded from the local newspaper...

pamper said...

Thanks for writing again ... and the pictures are great!!! I love New Orleans at Christmas time, and your pictures made me wish I was there. We had no snow, but you are right about everyone talking about New Orleans getting the snow. What is your holiday schedule? Where will you be and when will you return? Hopefully, we can get together in early 2009!
Love,
Pam