Friday, June 2, 2006

Handicapped spots

A few years ago, my friend (we'll call her, um, Pinky) was shopping at Northcrest Kohls and decided to park in the handicapped spot. She went inside and shopped around, but when she started to walk out, a police officer was waiting by her car.

Pinky hesitated for a moment deciding whether or not to limp, but eventually just walked out, clearly un-handicapped. The police officer asked, "Why are you parked in the handicapped spot?"
Pinky looked around and said, "Well, because my friend is handicapped and she is inside."

At that point the officer was probably trying to secretly radio all his police friends to get the ordeal on the air, knowing what was about to happen, and if it were me, I would have said something like, Oh, really? You left your handicapped friend in Kohls by herself and came out to your car for what? To get her imaginary wallet? But instead, the officer just said, "Could you go inside and get her?"

Pinky should have said, "Look officer, I'm really sorry but..." or at least she should laughed like it was all just a big joke. But she didn't. She said, "sure" and went back into Kohls to look for a handicapped person. TO LOOK FOR A HANDICAPPED PERSON! After combing the isles and unsuccessfully finding a handicapped person to borrow, she called me from the back corner of the store and left me a message, "Um, Brooke. If you get this, could you come as fast as you can to the Northcrest Kohls with your crutches and that old ankle cast you have from when you twisted your ankle during basketball? Thanks. Hurry. Its an emergency. Oh, and come in the side door, not the front." She hung up and waited by the side door for me to call.

Unfortnuately I did not receive the message for hours and Pinky eventually had to re-emerge from Kohls, short one handicapped person, to face an officer who just shook his head and wrote her a ticket.

I was driving down the road today and randomly remembered that story. I called Pinky and she laughed so hard. She said I could post it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha that was funny!oh that pinky..what can i say?..

Anonymous said...

um...this is the funniest story ever. seriously, going to pee my pants.

Anonymous said...

You guys crack me up!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there are pinkys of the world. They all make it a little more interesting.

Anonymous said...

i like the sounds of this pinky girl. hang on to her as a friend, she may come in handy someday.

Anonymous said...

Was the car parked in the handicapped space the same Dodge Neon that I almost took a bullet for?

Brooke said...

It absolutely was (God rest it's soul)

Anonymous said...

yes. thank you for that, by the way.